How to pick the right van for your van build? Best van for camper conversion? We hear these questions all the time. When you are considering a van build or camper van DIY, you want to know the best van for camper conversion. A camper van build can cost a fair amount of money to undertake. So, picking the right van is very important.
What model should I buy? Sprinter van conversion DIY, Promaster Van, Mercedes, and the list goes on. The best way to pick the best conversion van for you is to make a list of your own camper van build needs, wants and likes.
Some of the things you should consider first before starting your camper van build are.
- Cost is one factor but one you must exam a different way. Is this a short-term goal or a lifestyle change towards full-time van living? If short term, it would be best to buy a cheaper van. Full-time van living, this will be your home. The better-made van with a diesel engine would be your best option for your camper van build.
- Size of the van will have to be a bigger decision to make. How much room do you need? Do you want a camper van to build with all the option? Headroom? Some van models you may not be able to stand up in, as more companies are seeing this to be a growing trend have increased the inside height of there van to accommodate this issue.
- Short or Long van falls under the size issue but can determine your turning radius. If you want your conversion van to be able to maneuver in tight spaces, you should take this into consideration.
- 2 wheel or 4X4 Do you plan on off-grid van camping and pushing the limits how far you leave the paved roads than a 4X4 is what you might need.
- Gas mileage, if you plan on covering a lot of areas the gas mileage of your conversion van will play a factor in your decision. Having a diesel engine in your van build can help with this option. Diesel engine mileage consumptions will not vary as much with heavy van weight due to your camper van build as gas engines will.
- Gas or Diesel, Diesel engines are your best option. Diesel engine vans cost more. Diesel engines life span is twice as long compared to gas engines. Most gas engines make it to around 150 thousand miles. Most diesel engines can make it into the 400-thousand-mile range. Big difference!
Take this small list and start your own to find out what is the best van for camper conversion for you. List all the options you want in your dream Van build and narrow the search for the right van to meet your needs. Then begin your camper van build and start your own van adventure.
I hope this information was useful in helping you pick between all the vans on the marked you can use in your camper van build.
Please like and share if this was a benefit to you.
Please like and share, Thank you